[Catalog-sig] Can PyPI have a new field that stores the code repository URL?

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 19:32:48 CEST 2011

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 10:24 AM, Daniel Greenfeld <pydanny at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Tarek,
>
> In PEP-345 there isn't a specific URL field. Instead we have to hope
> that people add something and then follow a 'source code' label
> convention. To know to add this field, one needs to know the
> convention, and that is in PEP-345, far from PyPI and its
> instructions. Even if instructed, from a sociological point of view
> one could argue that this is not the most efficient way to handle the
> issue.
>
> My request is for a obvious, specific field. An obvious, specific
> field will encourage package owners to provide links to their source
> code repositories. The field and the APIs it will feed will allow
> tools like Packaginator, Read the Docs, Depot.io, and other
> yet-to-be-invented tools a clear path to the source code repo for
> existing and unknown reasons.

We had that discussion in the past when we added the Project-URL field.
We ended up with the conclusion that it's hard to define such a field
in a generic way, so it's free-form for now.

Mostly because of the url schemes, and because we were not sure what
people would do with it.

What do you want to do ? do you want a web UI of the repo ? or a
git://, ssh://  lp:// link ? etc..
what is expected in the linked page ? Do you want a single repo link ?
several ? what if the project does not have a repo ?

Cheers

>>> http://cartwheelweb.com

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org