[Catalog-sig] Proposal for the bootstrap API

Tarek Ziadé tarek at ziade.org
Fri Feb 15 14:16:09 CET 2013

On 2/15/13 2:10 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 10:25 PM, Tarek Ziadé <tarek at ziade.org> wrote:
>> Anyways: I am withdrawing my proposal - if we're special-casing a few
>> projects,  why bother creating a new API in the first place ?
> That's why I asked how frequently the bootstrap files needed updates
> earlier - if they're fairly static, then simply asking for a copy to
> be hosted on PyPI and documenting that as the canonical location is by
> far the most straightforward solution.

in Distribute case they is just one per release. (setuptools is likewise
but Phillip might have a dev version synced with commits I am not sure)

zc.buildout's is more static AFAIK

> The only reason for an API would be if the projects wanted to be able
> to update them directly without asking the PyPI admins to upload a new
> version
that's the main issue I think: if I have an urgent release to push,
after a security issue or a brown bag release,

I don't want to depend on a PyPI admin - if we do this, we'll need an
access.

> (and, as you note, that could potentially be handled via
> ssh/scp config rather than via the PyPI web app).

That's what I do yeah. the script uploads via scp.  If we can manage to
have our keys on the PyPI server, so we can scp ourselves the files,
then +1

--
Tarek Ziadé · http://ziade.org · @tarek_ziade