[Catalog-sig] PyPI terms

Noah Kantrowitz noah at coderanger.net
Thu Feb 28 19:19:31 CET 2013

On Feb 28, 2013, at 10:14 AM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> On 28.02.2013 18:44, Noah Kantrowitz wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 28, 2013, at 2:22 AM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>>> BTW: I've never seen a hosting website require agreeing to
>>> giving users of the website the same distribution rights
>>> as the owner of the website.
>>>

>> You should read terms of service more closely then, this is standard because of how lawyers interpret the general foundation of the internet. Because we cannot promise private caches and such will _ever_ delete something just because it is removed from PyPI we need that bit of legal protection. None of us are lawyers to the best of my knowledge so this is not the right place to discuss such things. If our counsel says that requirement isn't needed, we will remove it, otherwise we won't.
>
> Then please point me to a hosting license that requires this :-)
> I've looked around quite a bit and couldn't find any...
>
> That said, you're right in that this list is not the right place for
> such a discussion. I just wanted to explain what I meant
> with "giving up control".

Because I happen to have YouTube open anyway:

"""
For clarity, you retain all of your ownership rights in your Content. However, by submitting Content to YouTube, you hereby grant YouTube a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the Content in connection with the Service and YouTube's (and its successors' and affiliates') business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the Service (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels. You also hereby grant each user of the Service a non-exclusive license to access your Content through the Service, and to use, reproduce, distribute, display and perform such Content as permitted through the functionality of the Service and under these Terms of Service. The above licenses granted by you in video Content you submit to the Service terminate within a commercially reasonable time after you remove or delete your videos from the Service. You understand and agree, however, that YouTube may retain, but not display, distribute, or perform, server copies of your videos that have been removed or deleted. The above licenses granted by you in user comments you submit are perpetual and irrevocable.
"""

Slightly different wording, only the license to comments is irrevocable, for videos they just promise to stop distributing but not actually remove your content.

--Noah