[Catalog-sig] pre-PEP: transition to release-file hosting at pypi site

Trishank Karthik Kuppusamy tk47 at students.poly.edu
Tue Mar 12 22:10:48 CET 2013

Hello Jacob,

Good to hear from you! Thanks for stating your concerns so clearly, and 
we do understand them. We agree that inertia is important to maintain. 
In fact, we are excited to show this in person to the PyPI community on 

We expect to release a design document and a demo in a few hours. Let me 
finish my midterm, and then I will get back to you :)


On 03/12/2013 04:35 PM, Jacob Kaplan-Moss wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 3:30 PM, Jacob Kaplan-Moss <jacob at jacobian.org> wrote:
>> As I've said, the implementation details aren't of a concern to me;
>> the result is.
> You know what though, I kinda lied.
> While I don't care about the implementation, I *do* care about keeping
> this process moving forward. Holger has a PEP that's essentially done
> (if controversial), and Donald's offered to implement it. The PyCon
> sprints next week means we'll have a ton of focused attention, so
> there's a very good chance if we strike now we'll have this done in
> the next couple weeks.
> So yeah, I'm going to back the proposal that has a critical mass
> behind it, and it solves the problem. My experience with Python
> packaging is that there's a massive amount of inertia, so I think it's
> pretty vital to get work done while there are people who've got time
> to work on it.
> Not to put too fine a point on it, but unless there's actually
> something really wrong with Holger's proposal I can't see why we'd
> want to wait for some hypothetically better solution.
> Jacob
> _______________________________________________
> Catalog-SIG mailing list
> Catalog-SIG at python.org
> http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/catalog-sig

More information about the Catalog-SIG mailing list