[Catalog-sig] V3 PEP-draft for transitioning to pypi-hosting of release files

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 15:39:46 CET 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 7:13 AM, Justin Cappos <jcappos at poly.edu> wrote:
> Maybe a different way to say it is that the current TUF integration doc
> assumes that it is desirable to make minimal change to PyPI's layout and
> pip, easy_install, etc. while adding security.   We made several choices
> based upon this assumption, including using and retaining the /simple dir.

I think what you're proposing now is a pretty good place to state
(although I'm suggesting making it even simpler in the near term by
starting by focusing on the PyPI->end user link, and then moving to
delegating signing of the per-project metadata to the individual
projects as a later step)

> If the community wants a more 'clean-slate' design, we could put that
> together also.   This requires a lot of information specific to your setup
> and use cases so we'd appreciate collaboration with you guys to write that
> up.

I'd like to do a "distribution 2.0" at some point where we make the
simple index redundant by including that info (and more) directly in
the TUF metadata, but I think that's a "later" project - securing what
we have now is a better place to start.

Cheers,
Nick.