[Catalog-sig] API for uploading packages to PyPI

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 08:37:18 CET 2013

Hi,

I understand that this will make PyPI a potential target for automated spam
bots, but still it will be awesome to have an API to upload packages to
PyPI.

For example, I have a code that extract all necessary meta data for the
package from the source file itself. It is even able to generate setup.py
from this data. https://bitbucket.org/techtonik/astdump The next logical
step in this chain is to teach it to upload stuff to PyPI.

Now I thought that this setup.py is an unnecessary complication. What I
need, ideally is just upload single .py file, or a JSON and a .tar.gz FWIW.
Is there a straightforward API for things like that?

Please, CC.
--
anatoly t.