[CentralOH] Kokki, or, Server Management

Austin Godber godber at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 01:21:58 CET 2010

I have been playing with Chef quite extensively for the last three weeks.
 Its definitely capable and the combination of the "knife" command line tool
plus the centralized server are very compelling.  I think I have just about
fully automated deploys of the Crunch.io dashboard (apache+wsgi) at this
point.  Though for smaller numbers of servers I might agree with  Morgan.
 Though I think getting good at chefs templates and attributes could be
really flexible once you've got the learning under your belt.

After you, Isaac, talked about Green Unicorn I thought I would try switching
to it, so I may be writing a chef cookbook for it.

In my mind, Kokki's python implementation is not a strong enough draw to
give up the /relative/ maturity of chef.  If its a simple reimplementation
for pythons sake without truly trying to improve on chef it would really be
pointless for me.  Chef has been really quite comprehensive so far.  I think
I would spend too much time implementing config management if I used Kokki.
 I have already implemented enough brittle config management.

Maybe if I get ambitious tomorrow (I think I have all my stupid leaves
raked) I could do the green unicorn + nginx + postgres implementation I have
been thinking about in chef and show you how it works.  I might be drinking
the cool-aid though.  Granted, I have a good perspective for thinking about
these sorts of things and I think chef definitely has legs in a good number
of situations.  Actually, I could keep talking here ... but I won't, maybe I
will just show you guys when I do my presentation.

Austin