[CentralOH] Better Problem Description.

Brian Costlow brian.costlow at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 21:43:20 CET 2013

Louis,

Here is a sort-of pythonic implementation of your algorithm. There's some
non idiomatic stuff here because I think it's easier for a new Python
person to follow. It takes a string which contains a representation of a
decimal number as input. This will only give correct output if the number
has four places to the right of the decimal. It will also have issues if
the string passed in is not a number. And one more thing...read on

# Used as a simple hash to lookup new last digit
ROUNDING_LOOKUP = { '0':'0', '1':'0', '2':'0', '3':'5', '4':'5',
    '5':'5', '6':'5', '7':'5', '8':'0', '9':'0', }

def bogdan_round(num_as_string):
    '''Round to 0.0005 step

    Input must be a string representing a decimal number, with
    four places to right of decimal. Anything else WILL break.
    Negative values WILL NOT move in correct direction'''

    # part that won't change, uses slice notation, given 1.2345 as input
becomes 1.23
    prefix = num_as_string[:-2]
    # given 1.2345 becomes 4
    next_to_last_digit = num_as_string[-2:-1]
    # given 1.2345 becomes 5
    last_digit = num_as_stringx[-1:]
    next_to_last_as_int = int(next_to_last_digit)

    if next_to_last_as_int > 7:
        if next_to_last_as_int == 9:
            next_to_last_digit = '0'
        else:
            next_to_last_digit = str(next_to_last_as_int + 1)
    return prefix + next_to_last_digit + ROUNDING_LOOKUP[last_digit]

Except there is a huge bug here.

1.2346 returns 1.2345
1.2349 returns 1.2350
but
1.2399 returns 1.2300 NOT the correct 1.2400 which is what happens when you
try to play with isolated digits as a string.

To fix that requires traversing the rest of the string in a loop adjusting
digits. It's better to do math. Returning to my earlier solution, with a
couple of tweaks.

All computers have imprecision when doing floating point math, because of
precision limitations moving between decimal and the actual binary
implementation of the numbers. This is not unique to Python, but any
language that abstracts the idea of a float and targets multiple
architectures.

Python has a Decimal library that allows you to do fixed point decimal
math, or do floating point that will notify you if precision is lost. This
does the same as the above, plus it handles ints and floats as input,
negative values:

# Use the decimal lib
from decimal import Decimal as D

# Since we are rounding to closest 0.0005, we can't just use the quant
method
# but we have to multiply so we can do integer rounding then divide back
MULTIPLIER = D('2000')

# Number can be int, string, or in Python 2.7 or >, a float
def custom_round(number):
    number = D(number) # create a decimal type
    # multiply so we can round to nearest int
    adjusted_number = number * MULTIPLIER
    # round, divide back, and return result in one step
    return adjusted_number.to_integral_value() / MULTIPLIER

Here's the function in action, showing the result:

>>> custom_round('1.2340')
Decimal('1.234')
>>> custom_round('1.2341')
Decimal('1.234')