[CentralOH] Python Graphics Library: Pillow Gives Soft Landing

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com jep200404 at columbus.rr.com
Tue Feb 11 22:17:25 CET 2014

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 13:11:11 -0500, Eric Floehr <eric at intellovations.com> wrote:

> That would be pillow[1][2] which is a fork of PIL that promises faster
> bugfixing and a more open development model.

Thank to Kurtis and Eric for that, which led me back to:

On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 09:51:34 +0800, iynaix <iynaix at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://vimeo.com/63258721
>
> Davin Potts goes over the basics of scikit image and does exactly what you
> want at around the 10 minute mark or so.

Something that was not clear was that imshow() exists after
executing %pylab inline. Maybe the presenter's notebook did
not begin with %pylab inline because he had invoked
ipython notebook with --pylab inline option.

>From Brandon's astronomy-notebooks, I've learned to not specify
--pylab inline when starting ipython notebook. Instead I begin
each notebook with a %pylab command.

> The rest of the video is fascinating and well worth a watch as well.

Indeed.

> A possible solution for pdfs is to use the 'convert' command from
> ImageMagick,e.g. convert in.jpg out.pdf
>
> It isn't python, but you could whip up some bash in a jiffy.

I found PSDraw stuff of pillow that outputs postscript,
then I used !ps2pdf to generate a PDF file.
PSDraw is pretty crude, so I might modify it,
or use something else such as ImageMagick or matplotlib's
PDF capabilities as Eric wrote. Having the source code
for PSDraw available at the click of a mouse while reading
the dox, got me to look at it. There really is not much to it.