[CentralOH] Thank you for joining us this evening!

Damien Calloway damiencalloway at fastmail.com
Mon Jul 26 21:48:58 EDT 2021

Hello !

Thank you for joining us for the July 2021 COhPy meeting ! We discussed
Qtile, and 20 of you came. This is a version of my talk at PyOhio 2021,
which a virtual event this Saturday 31 July 2021 :

https://www.pyohio.org/2021/

The Qtile project is here : http://www.qtile.org/

Documentation is here : https://docs.qtile.org/en/latest/

DistroTube has the best YouTube videos on Qtile I can find, and his
playlist is here :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NO2DJARbU0&list=PL5--8gKSku15-C4mBKRpQVcaat4zwe4Gu

A couple of questions came up :

Yes, you can do stacking - this is the default layout, but you are not
limited to only this.

Yes, you can mouse at anytime - the clips I showed were of mostly
keyboard operation, but you are still in a GUI, and you can use the
callback hooks to make your own mouse callbacks as well. That's the
beauty of Qtile - it's all Python, no shell or C required.

Even if you never use it, you should still take a look at the code to
see how a non-trivial Python application looks.

Are you new ? Two things :

1) Automate the boring stuff - https://automatetheboringstuff.com/

That book is awesome, and is also freely hosted on the author's website.
Highly recommended

2) Python dojo !

We meet in person at:
Smokehouse Brewing Company