[Chicago] guido @ google

Brian Ray bray at sent.com
Thu Dec 22 17:05:51 CET 2005

On Dec 22, 2005, at 8:08 AM, Ed Summers wrote:

> Well, it's not a book -- but surely this bodes well for the python
> community:
>
> http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/8821

I would be interested to hear how Google uses Python. And what use
they will have for the writer of Python. There have been many job
offerings from Google asking for people with Python experience.

Here in the office, we are having a heated language flame war debate
concerning web programming--keep in mind most of is are C hackers and
really none of us are web experts. My argument was that the web is
just like any other program and does not require some statically
linked ball of twine--like PHP. PHP is fast because it is one big
static library. You can get as much performance with a language which
scales well and allows clustering, like Python. Also their seems to
be more thought focused on program design and less on. "how do I
write this next line of code?". I think I mentioned the grasshopper
versus team of ants analogy. I then mentioned that Google may be
using Python in this way. The result was the others thought I was
wrong in that Google must not be using Python because thought Python
was not fast enough.

On speed, the is the Python philosophy still write everything in
Python then rewrite anything not quick enough in "C". I wonder if
Guido will be writing "C" for Python at Google.

One thing that intrigues me about Google is their concentration on
making data available quickly, cleanly and concisely.  Much of this
idea is part of they Python experience. Then when I take a look at
other great web technology build with Python, especially those I can
take apart because I have the source code, like for example just
about any Django application, I see that this technology too also
uses some of the well founded theories derived from Python.

With plain C/C++, I immediately know who wrote what piece of code
before looking at blame or cvs logs. Their own techniques are
signatures and bad practices are on everything they write. With
Python, I can not always do the same thing--which is a good thing if
your working in a large group. Maybe, the restrictiveness causes
people to write code which matches each others. I only then can tell
who wrote which piece of Python code when I take a step back and
start looking at class diagrams and looking at architecture decisions.

Still, Guido at Google cool. Thanks Ed!

-- Brian Ray
http://brianray.chipy.org