[Chicago] Chicago Python User Group: Thurs. July 13, 2006 7pm.

Jason R Huggins JRHuggins at thoughtworks.COM
Wed Jul 12 19:31:33 CEST 2006

Chris McAvoy wrote on 07/12/2006 11:35:54 AM:
> I do know for sure though that I'm feeling like I want to pull every
> Chicago users group into a single one night a month entity.  That
> would be awesome.  And efficient.

I kinda/sorta did that... But it's every week (not every month), on
Mondays, and early in the morning (not evening). Oh, and there are no
presentations, but there's a fair amount of chatting, sharing, and coffee.
:-) Okay, so it's not like your idea at all! But, we've had a good mix of
Ruby, Python, Perl, and Lispers attend for the past month. Come on by! :-)
--> http://techcoffee.infogami.com/

A more generic monthly meetup for all the Chicago users group might be
cool, but there's a slippery slope... first we combine dynamic languages,
then all languages, then a combined Linux/Mac fans group, before you know
it, you're planning the next TECHcocktail or BarCamp. :-) And rarely does
creating a new group (or project, language, feed-format, or
documentation-syntax) reduce the need and desire for the old ones that
were supposed to be replaced. :-)

But to be serious, just for a second... Here's a formal proposal: Start
putting feelers out to see if there's interest in combining the Ruby,
Python, and Perl users group meeting for December or November. It doesn't
have to be a permanent change... just this once. Kind of like the
SnakesAndRubies event, but with Perl*. Oh, why December/November? Well,
I'm overdosing lately on how many tech events are going on this summer in
Chicago... We need to remember that December around here can get quite
boring, unless we plan accordingly.

-Jason