[Chicago] Meeting recap?

Atul Varma varmaa at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 22:40:49 CEST 2007

On 4/14/07, Ben Collins-Sussman <sussman at red-bean.com> wrote:
> A hero in the IF community made a valiant attempt to create a portable
> API to separate 'machine' from 'UI', and it's called GLK... basically
> a single C header file that back-ends (interpreters) can use to talk
> to front-ends.  So in theory, any number of back-end implementations
> can be easily hooked up to a bunch of GLK-compliant front-ends.  This
> turns to work out pretty well, assuming all front-ends and back-ends
> are written in C.  Since I'm busy writing my back-end in python,
> though, I'm stuck trying to swig-ify the glk.h header... or something.
>  Haven't figured out the something yet, but it would be nice if people
> could help on this.

Um... This is actually right up my alley.  Unless someone else really
wants to do this, I'm going to start working on it.  (Or if I'm
totally jumping the gun by saying this, please let me know--I don't
want to step on any toes!)

> But hey, yeah, hackathon anyone?  :-)

Absolutely!  We could totally do it as one of those TechCoffee things,
or we could make it a sprint sort of thing... Whatever works...
Anything for interactive fiction, yo.

- Atul