[Chicago] Web Frameworks?

Brian Ray bray at sent.com
Sun Aug 19 15:14:21 CEST 2007

On Aug 18, 2007, at 7:36 PM, sheila miguez wrote:

> On 8/17/07, Cosmin Stejerean <cstejerean at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I haven't done much J2EE web development but as far as I can tell
>> there are
>> many choices in that area as well with things like JSPs, JSF, Spring,
>> Struts, JDBC, Hibernate, EJB
>
> I use spring, jboss, hibernate.
>
> I was curious about aop in python and found a guy out there trying to
> create spring for python. http://springpython.python-hosting.com/

There are a couple other projects that claim to use aspect oriented
programming in Python:

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~ask/aspects/aspects.html
http://www.logilab.org/projects/aspects
http://peak.telecommunity.com/
http://pythius.sourceforge.net/

I am not sure how spring-like these are.

I played with the first link and its example:

For example, consider class c:

class c:
     def foo(self):
         print "foo"

and function adv:

def adv(self, *args, **keyw):
     print "before"
     rv = self.__proceed(*args,**keyw)
     print "after"
     return rv

You can wrap the method foo of class c inside function adv by calling:

wrap_around( c.foo, adv )

Now, executing

o = c()
o.foo()

results output

before
foo
after

I am really interested why a framework would be used here at all. It
seems if would be easy to do any of this with minimal effort using
plain language features.

Likewise, about Web Frameworks, I am not sure one is always needed at
first. When I was starting out with webstuff, I just did without a
framework and did something like this http://fragments.turtlemeat.com/
pythonwebserver.php and SQLObject. Then I went back to the stand
alone server code and replaced it with what was needed for mod_python.

I am not saying not to use a Framework. In fact, since when I start
new web projects I used Django.  Nevertheless, I got a lot of value
out of learning from base Python first and worrying about Frameworks
later.

Brian Ray
bray at sent.com
http://kazavoo.com/blog