[Chicago] Web Frameworks?

Kumar McMillan kumar.mcmillan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 23:43:05 CEST 2007

On 8/21/07, Massimo Di Pierro <mdipierro at cti.depaul.edu> wrote:
> I agree testing is important. My class on Python web framework is
> only 5 lectures and so I usually do not have much time for it.
> We have two new intro CS courses on Python (Ljubomir Perkovic teaches
> them usually) and testing in python is probably covered there.

I just met Atif Memon, a professor at Univ Of Maryland, during the
GTAC (Google Test Automation Conference).  He teaches classes
specifically on testing and didn't know of many others around the
country.  I thought this one was interesting: For the first part of a
graduate course the students build a large system, complete with unit
and functional tests, etc.  Then in the next part, they inherit the
crap code written by the last lot of students and add new features!  I
suggested that to make it more "real world" like he should remove all
the unit tests when delivering the inherited code :)

Now to go OT ... his talk with Adam Porter was pretty amazing:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OiE9zRPD6ps
Among other things, he talks about his work on automatically
generating test cases for GUI apps.  It uses an algorithm to find all
the possible ways that GUI widgets can interact with each other.  He
took 3 sample apps from sourceforge and found about 10 bugs per app ;)

Great conference all around

-Kumar