[Chicago] Stackless

Chris McAvoy chris.mcavoy at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 21:46:16 CEST 2007

On 6/5/07, Atul Varma <varmaa at gmail.com> wrote:

> This post by Guido may help shed more light on it:
>
>   http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-3000/2007-May/007414.html
>
> The bottom line, though, is that it appears as though Python isn't
> really going to improve its support for threads; rather, the
> assumption is that if a Python solution needs to take advantage of
> multiple processors, it should use multiple processes instead of
> multiple threads.

Which is fine, except that its kind of a pain to write a forking
anything, IMHO.  It's not a paradigm that I can whip out when I really
need to.  It would be cool if the stackless guys would apply their API
chops to forking.  I think their microthreads are a big improvement
over the limited look I gave Python threads.  If they could make
forking similarly easy, it would be a neat thing.

Chris