[Chicago] Not-python

Feihong Hsu hsu.feihong at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 9 16:26:23 CET 2007

Games created in IronPython will not be able to run on the 360, but
there are other non-sucky languages for .NET that you could use.  One
is Boo, which is a statically-compiled language with Python-like
syntax.  It uses type inference whenever it can to reduce the number
of type declarations you write.  Another is F#, a functional language
based on OCaml.  I'm not very familiar with OCaml, but F# has a
"light" syntax option that allows for a more Python-like syntax.  F#
also uses type inferencing, but it seems much more effective than
Boo's.

So one viable development approach would be to do a prototype in
IronPython, and gradually migrate the more stable parts to Boo/F#.
Once the entire program is in Boo/F#, just compile the program to a
.NET binary (assembly), and it will run on the 360, no problem.

I know Boo fairly well and could give a lightning talk on Boo if
people are interested (it is pretty easy to grok for Python
programmers).

I could probably give one on F# too, once I learn it better.  I
should mention that F# is probably the most accessible functional
language for Python programmers.  It can use all of the .NET
libraries, and it can use many (most?) Python libraries (through
either IronPython or the Python for .NET bridge).  You need to write
some boilerplate to enable interoperability, but at least you can
write it in F# and not sucky C++/C#, and you don't need to generate
wrapper code ala SWIG.

Cheers,

Feihong

P.S.  I am working on fixing my website so I can post the slides from
my Unicorn, I mean Unicode, presentation.