[Chicago] Using WSGI as middleware for CGI

Andrew Wilson andrew at humanized.com
Thu Mar 22 00:25:29 CET 2007

Hey, guys,

Okay, crazy thought. I need to implement a site-wide authentication
mechanism, which for usability reasons *must* be cookie based. But *sigh*
most 3rd-party software really, really prefers HTTP auth. For our own
applications, I intend to implement a WSGI middleware application that
transforms cookie information into information on what user is logged in (if
any). This works great for our own web apps, and also for decently behaved
Python ones (e.g. Trac).

BUT. I am forced (by time limits) to use non-Python web applications that
run over CGI or FCGI.

Is there any way I can re-use my WSGI application as middleware in between
my webserver (ligghtpd) and a standard CGI script (again, translating cookie
information into the appropriate CGI information for http auth login)?

Thanks,
-- Andrew