[Chicago] understanding unicode problems

Feihong Hsu hsu.feihong at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 16 21:00:56 CET 2007

Why is this necessary? Dabo uses wxPython, which has an API for iterating through all the available fonts on the system. Put all the font names in a combobox, and let the user decide which font she wants the report to be in. If the user wants to use FreeSans, FreeSerif, etc, she can download them herself.

-Feihong

Carl Karsten <carl at personnelware.com> wrote: Another issue just popped up: Font support.  I asked Paul, we volleyed some
emails, and he just asked the Report-lab list:

=== begin ==
I'm looking for a set of fonts that I can distribute with Dabo's report writer
(which wraps reportlab). I like FreeSans, FreeSerif, and FreeMono, but
unfortunately those are GPL and so not compatible with Dabo's license.

The requirements would be:

+ free, non-viral license
+ truetype
+ good amount of glyphs
+ a sans-serif, a serif, and a monotype font, with italics, bold, and bold-italic

Any suggestions? I'd like there to be a basic set of fonts that we can guarantee
will be available on all platforms and in all installations of Dabo, regardless
of what fonts a particular user/operating system already has installed.
== end ==

I was thinking the unicode support was now only an issue in older, un-maintained
code/documents that are lingering on.  apparently modern OS distributions too?

Carl K