[Chicago] OT Dedicate Server

Brian Ray bray at sent.com
Fri Apr 11 02:49:31 CEST 2008

Sorry if this is off topic. I recall others on this list who have
helped me immensely with these issues in the past.

I am looking for a dedicated server provider who is SAS-70 to host a
some new commercial Python apps. My budget is 100-300/month.  I am not
moving my current hosting at RIMU, but this is an addition.

I have used Rackspace. It sounds like they are not in my price range
for SAS-70.  I just now found Server Path, looks like they may work.
Typically, I do not really need much *manage* services because I do
most of this myself.

I am planning on a Django / Apache2 / mod_python / Python2.5 /
PostgreSQL / RedHat ES application. It also has some custom Python
modules that where we SWIG some C++ code.   We write most our code on
Mac OSX or Windows. Administratively, we sometime use Webmin, but
mostly just SSH for configuration changes, deployment, and upgrades.

Its been a while (3 years or so) since I have been in a need for a new
dedicated server. Does anyone have any recommendations on hosting or
my configuration changes? I want to focus on security and a data
center where my clients will feel comfortable with on paper.  One area
where I am on the fence, besides the data center, is the choice of OS.
I do not really use any RedHat specific features. Is there any reason
I should not move to FreeBSD or CentOS?

Brian Ray
bray at sent.com
http://kazavoo.com/blog