[Chicago] web2py 1.20 is out

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Feb 5 21:42:51 CET 2008

Martin Maney wrote:
> Yeah, I recall that SQLAlchemy was far less of a crippled compromise
> than any other ORM I'd ever seen, but in itself it's hardly a web app
> framework (and so it didn't usefully solve any of my immediate problems
> - substituting its notation for existing SQL would have been little
> more than make-work, and using it with the small Django app(let)s would
> merely have broken the automagical admin and other stuff that make up
> half of the reason Django is useful to me).  I don't remember having
> heard of Storm before.

There's recent work on making Django-like admin stuff with SQLAlchemy, here:
   http://code.google.com/p/dbsprockets/

It's harder to make interfaces like this when the model isn't as
constrained.  There might be some Elixir-specific stuff too (Elixir is a
wrapper around SQLAlchemy for creating models more like Django or
SQLObject).

   Ian