[Chicago] MPI in Python?

Michael Tobis mtobis at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 21:38:06 CET 2008

In high-performance scientific computing MPI is the standard solution
for distributed memory systems.

I had understood OpenMP to be a solution for shared memory parallelism
of certain sorts.  Look at it carefully to see if your programming
model matches it; my guess is that for most on this list it won't even
do that.

If there is a **distributed memory** version of OpenMP, it would seem
to be more of a toy than a real solution. Maybe it's useful for
porting existing OpenMP work to distributed memory?

That's consistent with what Massimo said. Massimo said nothing about
not using MPI.  Your summary seems wrong.

I think you want to build a threadlike environment on top of MPI on
top of ethernet or high performance switches. That seems plausible and
useful. You could even build duck-typed threadlike objects.

As Mike S said, you can also build MPI on top of threads. That's a
different prospect. (If you succeed in your mission you could build
threads on top of MPI and implement MPI with threads as a stunt or a
test.)

mt