[Chicago] Teach Me <something> at a ChiPy meeting?

Lukasz Szybalski szybalski at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 18:21:41 CEST 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 12:24 PM, Atul Varma <varmaa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Martin Maney <maney at two14.net> wrote:
>>
>> [ot, after noticing the randomly selected sig quote: /me wonders if
>> Joey's using git now?  I know he has a neat sounding tool to help with
>> managing your /etc using git that I'd need to find time to play with.]
>
> Hey, this can be OT if you use mercurial instead of git. :)  It would be
> really easy with mercurial, too... I think just do this as root:
>
>   $ cd /etc
>   $ hg init
>   $ hg add *
>   $ hg commit
>
> o yea.

quick question. Is mercurial able to keep a revision history for each
folder as a separate entity.

I put all my projects under trunk  and then work on each project in
its own folders. Few years laster if one project expends and I need to
take it out of trunk and put it under its own trunk source control, is
there an adventage that mercurial could give me vs svn as far as
keeping track of it. Is it easier to seperating one folder out of the
whole trunk? I know this is tricky with svn as you need to filter the
dump file for revisions that are connected to a folder you want to
export and if you don't have access to make dump file for main trunk
....then its virtually impossible.

Thanks,
Lucas