[Chicago] Kickstarter Fund to get rid of the GIL

Alex Gaynor alex.gaynor at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 18:51:25 CEST 2011

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Adam Jenkins <emperorcezar at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 1:40 PM, David Beazley <dxb251 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Your youth and inexperience is the only reason would make a statement
> that ignorant.
>
> This statement is rude, inappropriate, and a personal attack. There
> are many other ways you could have said it. Including, "You may find
> that", etc. This is a technical list, not and excuse to be rude to
> others because of their opinions.
>
> I say this without taking into account the technical merit of either
> of your opinions.

I'll live :)  Anyway, the point I was getting is not that a message passing
system is not scalable, I've written code for Blue Gene/Ls so I know that
message passing scales.  But rather that, for problems for which
shared-memory concurrency is appropriate (read: the valid cases to complain
about the GIL), message passing will not be, because of the
marshal/unmarshal overhead (plus data size/locality ones).

ALex