[Chicago] using-python-on-android

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 00:59:44 CEST 2012

TL;DR
  * Nov 27 will work for me
  * I could talk about many Python and Android topics
  * SL4A and android-python27 are probably the best for me to talk about

November 27 would work for me. I can drive (if there's a place to
park), take the Amtrak, or we have this new bus service to/from
Chicago called MegaBus that's supposed to be spiffy.

I'll summarize what I've been doing with Python and Android, and then
I'll let you decide if your members would find it interesting.

My PyOhio talk [1] was targeted at Python developers and touched on a
few topics:
  * Using SL4A/Py4A [2] to explore your Android device's capabilities
  * Installing a full Python development environment (python, pip,
virtualenv, vim) on Android via BotBrew [3]
  * Installing Linux on Android [4] for an even more desktop-like
development environment
  * Using SL4A/Py4A to create an Android app in Python
  * Silliness with Python -> Pyjamas -> Javascript -> PhoneGap app

Since then I've been exploring android-python27 [5], which is a
Python2.7 version of SL4A/Py4A that can be embedded and distributed in
an Android app. I have spent the most time making development with
this project (and Py4A) more like developing a normal Python program
(using virtualenv, running without the Android emulator [6]).

I have also begun looking into Kivy [7], which is a a project that
lets you create multi-touch applications for
Linux/Windows/OSX/Android/iOS with Python. I have not actually used
this project yet, but it looks to be very good and is gaining
mindshare quickly.

My long-term goal is to use one of the Python and Android projects to
make a Python IDE that runs on Android and that can make Python-based
Android apps (yo dawg). This can technically already be done [8] using
Py4A and AIDE [9], but I want to make it a more integrated and easy to
use experience.

I imagine the target audience for the GDG would be most interested in
creating Android apps, so that narrows the topics to SL4A,
android-python27, and Kivy. I don't think I'll have time to properly
look into Kivy before November, so I should probably talk about SL4A
for on-device Python and android-python27 for creating Android apps
with Python.

I could structure it as a two-part workshop, or just do either of the parts.

Part 1: Exploring your device with SL4A
  * Install SL4A
  * Install Py4A
  * Explore the API from the interpreter

Part 2: Create an Android app with android-python27
  * Assume a standard Eclipse with Android dev setup
  * Create a skeleton python-android-27 project
  * Setup Python dev environment (python 2.7, virtualenv)
  * Install my mock-sl4a-python-api module
  * Setup the Python Android build script
  * Create a small app that uses the SL4A android API
  * Run on emulator
  * Sign and run on device

[1] http://clusterbleep.net/blog/2012/09/04/pyohio-2012-presentation-python-and-android/
[2] http://code.google.com/p/python-for-android/