[Chicago] CPS to add computer science as core subject

Abraham Epton abraham.epton at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 23:15:30 CET 2013

I emailed a CPS contact about this very thing, and he told me that right
now a lot of the organization is happening in the Mayor's office. He said
he'd put me in touch with someone who could coordinate volunteering
opportunities once it makes its way over to CPS.

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 4:05 PM, Technically Debatable <
technicallydebatable at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would love more information on how one could contribute. Being a product
> of the CPS system kinda makes this great development personal.
> On Dec 9, 2013 12:09 PM, "Brian Curtin" <brian at python.org> wrote:
>
>> This just went up on the front page:
>>
>> http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-cps-to-add-computer-science-as-core-subject-20131209,0,799638.story
>>
>> """
>> Chicago Public Schools is making computer science a core subject
>> instead of an elective at city high schools.
>>
>> As part of a plan to increase access for students to learn computer
>> science skills, the district is creating a comprehensive K-12 computer
>> science education plan that teaches students tools on how to build
>> computer applications and programs at the elementary level and then
>> has them take computer science as a core subject in high school. CPS
>> says high schools will offer at least one computer science class.
>>
>> Through a partnership with a non-profit, code.org, CPS is getting a
>> free computer science curriculum and professional development for
>> staff.
>> """
>>
>> Does anyone have contacts at CPS? I'd love to know more about this.

epton.org
abe.epton.org (blog)
@aepton <http://twitter.com/aepton>