[Chicago] Site accounts

Adam "Cezar" Jenkins emperorcezar at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 21:47:48 CET 2013

You'll notice it's doesn't have usernames and passwords, just OpenID
accounts (with nice buttons to click). I assume almost everyone has a
google, github, bitbucket, stack overflow, yahoo, etc account. I have
Google, Github, and generic OpenID already turned on and can easily
add others.

I did this, because honestly, it's likely to sit around with very
little maintainace for a long time and I didn't want to take the
security burden of storing passwords for a site that's not going to be
watched over that much. Especially when the only things we need an
account for are talk submissions and rsvps

As much as I wish they didn't, people use the same passwords for other
sites and I don't want to find out that we got compromised and peoples
passwords got out there because we forgot to update Django or
something else.

That said. If there is a big outcry we can turn on password based
accounts and registration. I have been known to be wrong.

I will port old meeting information over, the models are very similar,
and I'll just have to write some minor glue code.