[Chicago] [ANN] ChiPy Monthly Meeting August 1st this Thursday at UofC downtown

Brian Ray brianhray at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 14:57:53 CEST 2013

RSVP today http://chipy.org

When: Thursday August 1st, 2013 at 7pm

Where: The University of Chicago (Downtown)
303 East Upper Wacker Drive, #2300
Chicago, IL 60601

How good: Best Ever!

We have moved the meeting to the first Thursday for a very good reason.
Socially Good reason. Head over and hear some lightening talks from handful
of the 40 social good doers from all over the world. Don't miss this once
in a life time experience.  Food and drink provided.

If the lightening talks do not melt your brain, Joseph Curtin will. Deploy
to the cloud while retaining the ability to deploy to $25 ARM based
computer. This is deployment heaven in the clouds!  This is going to be
great.

Topics:

   - *Lightening talks on Summer Fellows for "Data Science for Social Good"
   (1 hr)
   By: http://dssg.io/people/
   *4-6 presentations 5-7 minutes each from the summer fellowship program
   lead by The University of Chicago on "data science for social good" (ref
   http://dssg.io) Come hear from the 40 fellows (mostly grad students and
   some undergrads in CS and stats) from around the country. Most of the work
   is done in Python and partnering with non profits and government
   organizations
   - *Cluster Fun*
   (0:30:00 Minutes)
   By: Joseph Curtin
   An overview of deploying to a cloud solution while retaining the ability
   to deploy to a raspberry pi. Automate the instantiation of your cluster no
   matter the hardware. Utilizing libcloud, we'll talk to AWS and Rackspace.
   Utilizing Paramiko we'll talk to a Raspberry-Pi, AWS, and Rackspace. -
   Source code and slides will be available at the start of the presentation.
   https://github.com/jbcurtin/cedar

RSVP here http://chipy.org

--
Brian Ray