[Chicago] deploying django apps, first steps for newbie

Steven McGrath steve at cugnet.net
Wed Nov 20 18:47:15 CET 2013

I always use virtualenv out of habit (i’m staring at about 15 venvs currently active on my machine at the moment).  I’m not sure how usable it is to most people, but I even wrote a little script to help manage the virtual environments:

https://github.com/SteveMcGrath/virtualenv_manager

—
Steven McGrath

On November 20, 2013 at 11:41:49 AM, Yarko Tymciurak (yarkot1 at gmail.com) wrote:

I am all for virtualenv for developing apps packages, or devel where you don't have a deployment target in mind.

Otherwise a virtual box cofigured with the target machine, and the development tree network mounted from your host is a scalable, distributeable solution, and a small step to deploying to the same environment.

edx is moving to doing this with ansible, and its a nice way to include / test other services & dbs.
See the wiki pages at github.com/edx/configuration

Vagrant & a vm are your friend.