[Chicago] Code of conduct on the mailing list.

Don Sheu donald at caa.columbia.edu
Tue Apr 8 18:26:39 CEST 2014

I'm not joking. Discrimination based on language and accent was a research
focus of my mine during my college days at Columbia University.

One of my professors Franklin Odo who retired as the curator of the
Smithsonian's Asian American and Pacific Islander collection introduced me
to the works of his friend Mari Matsuda.

Mari's brilliant Yale Law Review article on accent discrimination recounted
a Filipino man who'd applied at the Hawaii DMV for a job and was turned
down for lack of English fluency. Turned out he was perfectly fluent. In
fact the linguist hired as a witness for his court case noted that out of
defending counsel, plaintiff's counsel, and the presiding judge, and
everybody else that spoke in the court, only the plaintiff spoke without
grammatical errors.

He was discriminated against for speaking American wrong. Mind you the
interviewers were Japanese American. Mari omitted this in her article. My
professor confided this fact to us, and shared that he found it very
interesting she decided to omit this piece in her essay.

Language is very important to me. I'm not going to minimize Jerome's
offense at the word fork. I don't understand it, but I respect his right to
not feel minimized.

Here's a link to Mari Matsuda's articles on JSTOR.

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/1048156?searchUri=%2Faction%2FdoBasicSearch%3FQuery%3Dmari%2Bmatsuda%26amp%3Bacc%3Doff%26amp%3Bwc%3Don%26amp%3Bfc%3Doff&resultItemClick=true&Search=yes&searchText=mari&searchText=matsuda&uid=3739256&uid=2134&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&sid=21103970534843