[Chicago] Open Source Comes to Campus Event at NEIU

meg ford meg387 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 22:45:45 CEST 2014

My name is Meg Ford and a CS student at NEIU.  I'm working with
OpenHatch<http://openhatch.org/>
 and *NEIU's* Computer Science Society to throw an event introducing
Chicago-area students to free and open source software.  It's a chance for
attendees to learn about the tools open source projects use, to contribute
to active projects, and to meet other students in the Chicago area who are
interested in free software.

The event is on Saturday, April 26th.  Our hosts at NEIU have graciously
opened their doors to students throughout the area, and I thought
students might
like to attend.

If you're interested, please send the publicity email below to the relevant
lists. If you do, please CC hello at openhatch.org

Best,
Meg

***

On April 26th 2014, *OpenHatch* and the Computer Science Society are
inviting you to a day--long open source software immersion event.

In the morning, *open source contributors* from various projects will teach
you about open source licensing, collaboration tools, and how free software
projects are organized. In the afternoon, they'll help you make
contributions to open source projects. And throughout the day, they'll feed
you, get to know you, and talk with you about opportunities for students in
open source.

Open source software - software that is shared freely and available to
build upon - is a great way to apply your programming skills to real--world
projects and social causes. This event specially welcomes newcomers to that
style of development, and the day begins with teaching workshops that
anyone can follow.

Open source participation is one way to gain real--world skills and make
connections that will last you through your career. Volunteer staff will
include professionals and academics who use open source daily.

This event is open to all students, but *space is limited*.
All participants are required to register here
http://chicago.openhatch.org/#signup.

*Register as soon as possible to save your seat!*

Hope to see you there.