[Chicago] Opinions on Python Anywhere and Python Web Frameworks

Aaron Elmquist elmq0022 at umn.edu
Sun Jan 25 22:43:00 CET 2015

Hello Everyone,

I've been learning Python for a bit now and I'd like to try writing a
small web application for fun.  The app I intend to write is basically
be a math blog with some interactive demos leveraging numpy/scipy.
Well, that and anything else that my interests wander towards.

To that end, I was wondering if the group could offer any opinions on
free sites to host python web apps and an appropriate web frame work
to use.

At this point, I'm leaning towards Python Anywhere, as they are
obviously Python centric.  But, if there others hosts I should
consider, please let me know.

For a web frame work, both Bottle and Flask seem nice enough and look
easy to start with.  Are there big distinctions between the two?  Does
Flask's dependance on external libraries cause any odd implementation
practices?  Does one have a much larger following than the other?
Will I learn more by using one or the other?

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Aaron