[Chicago] Perl v Python

Brian Costlow brian.costlow at gmail.com
Tue May 19 16:08:20 CEST 2015

This is a little bit apples & oranges...

The Perl DBI is installed, but it's the interface layer, you still need a
driver, e.g. DBD::Pg, to access a particular database. And they're not all
(or always) installed in a particular distro. I did some Perl work on
Solaris w/ Python 2.5 in the early 2000s. Had a fun time (not) getting a
newer version of DBD::mysql we needed compiled and installed.

The Python equivalent is the db-api,
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0249/  a standard for the API that
database drivers should present in Python. Though not all database driver
packages implement it.

Last, a lot of the stuff that pops up when you search PyPI using the term
'database' aren't database drivers. There are ORMs, utilities for wrapping
online services, db utilities, and other stuff in there.

Cheers,

Brian