[Chicago] Sympy for Python 3 ???

Joshua Herman zitterbewegung at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 19:29:28 CEST 2015

How do people generally learn python? I think I have progressed in the
following manner.
0. Don't know what python is (First experience was from Carl Karsten
telling me the general syntax rules.
1. Start by using python script on the command line
2. Play with IDLE / other IDEs/ Scripting
4. Use python at school at the compbio laboratory and Alcatel Lucen
5. Learn what virtualenv is and make them
6. Learn what ipython is and use ipython
7. Play with anaconda
8. I am here

Python is generally batteries included. Should ipython be a better starting
point for people who install python? I think more scientific/
financial oriented people are doing the following.
1. Get exposed to python to apply to work
2. Use ipython by installing using anaconda and use it in a browser?
possibly you don't even have a local install of python .
Now the person's goals will cause them to make a decision.
?. Start by using python script on the command line
?. Play with IDLE / other IDEs/ Scripting
?. Learn what virtualenv is and make them
?. Do web development

I think that if more people are doing the second path maybe we should
introduce python the second way instead of the first. For one reason
setting up ipython or some notebook interface on some cloud server is
probably going to become more common. The first way that people seem to
learn python takes much more steps to do interesting things and once a
person is hooked on python then they can learn the other steps.