[concurrency] Issues with the current concurrency mechanisms in Python

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 18:06:28 CET 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 23:49, James Mills <prologic at shortcircuit.net.au> wrote:
> I think one thing that could also help is micro threads and/or
> greenlet support built in to Python.

Indeed, that would make Python a more appealing platform for
concurrency, and provide another possible route for Python projects
which will need to scale to more processors in the future.

Right now I'm having a difficult time promoting the use of greenlets
or gevent for a Python project, and having this built in (or otherwise
officially supported) would have greatly the chance of going that
route. I'm guessing this is true for quite a few other projects as
well. My project does quite a bit of network I/O in addition to
significant computations, and Python threads have such a great
overhead... greenlets / fibers would have been great! We could perhaps
have used Twisted, but that was hardly even considered due to its
being notoriously large, complicated and difficult to learn.

- Tal Tiano Einat