[Conferences-discuss] Update: YAPyC 2003 (Washington, DC)

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 20:06:19 -0400

On 16 July 2002, Adam Turoff said:
> It's a little difficult to solve a multivariate equation when there all
> the variables are unknowns.  :-)

But it looks like you've done a great job so far -- thank you!

> There are other costs that have yet to be tallied: proceedings
> (print, CD or both); network connectivity, signs, badges, etc.

IMHO proceedings should be optional, and the cost should be extra.  The
canonical place for proceedings should be on the web.  Attendees should
pick what they want (print, CD, both, or neither) when they register.  I
realize there's a chicken/egg problem with estimating costs before you
know how many people want print proceedings (which I imagine are the
most expensive).  Maybe we could say print proceedings will cost no more
than $X, based on a tiny print run -- and hopefully people will be
pleasantly surprised.  If X is really high, though, that won't work.

It shouldn't need saying, but I am totally opposed to expensive,
unnecessary, and wasteful swag: I have enough tote bags already.  I
assume that kind of junk as not part of YAP(y)C conferences?

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - Unix nerd                                   gward@python.net
http://starship.python.net/~gward/