[Conferences-discuss] Update: YAPyC 2003 (Washington, DC)

Adam Turoff ziggy@panix.com
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 23:10:44 -0400

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 08:06:19PM -0400, Greg Ward wrote:
> On 16 July 2002, Adam Turoff said:
> > It's a little difficult to solve a multivariate equation when there all
> > the variables are unknowns.  :-)
>
> But it looks like you've done a great job so far -- thank you!

I want to emphasize that I punted on some important issues, and
want to higlight them again:
	- 3-day event
	- 3-4 concurrent tracks
	- 300 people
	- $100/person budget [ballpark]

I'm guessing that this would work for a Python conference.  I've
never been to the Foretec events, and I don't know what the expectations
would be for a community run Python conference.

I'm also ignoring some of the more substantive issues: conference
theme, target audience, target tracks, general scheduling (mid-winter
seems OK so far), and overall expectations for this event.  I really
don't have a voice for any of these issues, and the best I can do here
is describe what's been done at four North American YAPC events to date.

> It shouldn't need saying, but I am totally opposed to expensive,
> unnecessary, and wasteful swag: I have enough tote bags already.  I
> assume that kind of junk as not part of YAP(y)C conferences?

Tote bags do tend to be useful (especially if there's a conference
schedule, maps, and mass of other printed materials for each
attendee).  This has been a non-issue, because O'Reilly has donated
totebags before out of their leftover stock.

T-shirts would be a more critical issue.  ;-)

Z.