[Conferences-discuss] Update: YAPyC 2003 (Washington, DC)

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
17 Jul 2002 09:58:27 +0100

Adam Turoff <ziggy@panix.com> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 08:06:19PM -0400, Greg Ward wrote:
> > On 16 July 2002, Adam Turoff said:
> > > It's a little difficult to solve a multivariate equation when there all
> > > the variables are unknowns.  :-)
> >
> > But it looks like you've done a great job so far -- thank you!
>
> I want to emphasize that I punted on some important issues, and
> want to higlight them again:
> 	- 3-day event
> 	- 3-4 concurrent tracks
> 	- 300 people
> 	- $100/person budget [ballpark]

This all sounds much like EuroPython.

> I'm guessing that this would work for a Python conference.  I've
> never been to the Foretec events,

Me neither.

> and I don't know what the expectations would be for a community run
> Python conference.

Well, people seemed happy enough with EuroPython.

> I'm also ignoring some of the more substantive issues: conference
> theme, target audience, target tracks, general scheduling (mid-winter
> seems OK so far), and overall expectations for this event.  I really
> don't have a voice for any of these issues, and the best I can do here
> is describe what's been done at four North American YAPC events to date.

Cheap-ish accomodation could be an issue (though given that I would be
coming from Europe, flights are probably going to dominate...).

Cheers,
M.

--
  I'm a keen cyclist and I stop at red lights.  Those who don't need
  hitting with a great big slapping machine.