[Conferences-discuss] Update: YAPyC 2003 (Washington, DC)

Bruce Eckel Bruce@EckelObjects.com
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 14:18:35 -0600

I think this would be an ideal application of POD, and a way for
YAPyC to help fund itself: people can download the proceedings, but
if they want the POD, they can buy it, with a financial benefit to
YAPyC. Plus, the printed proceedings wouldn't be a limited press
run; people could continue to buy them in perpetuity.

I agree RE the T-shirts, I've always been a big fan of quality
T-shirts with embroidered logos. Again, if the POD approach is
used, we could have the basic shirt with the rubber logo, and the
cadillac shirt. Plus ballcaps and mugs. See:
http://www.valleyofthegeeks.com/
http://www.cafeshops.com/cp/store.aspx?s=votg

Look how much stuff is offered there, and trust me, my buddy Zack
is not one to go out on any kind of financial limb here.

As far as design goes, let's please consider using someone who does
it well, and come up with some really beautiful ones (also a big
issue with me). The designer I use for book covers, CDs, web sites
and everything else could do something very nice and appropriate
for us. See:
http://www.will-harris.com
Just because we're going towards a low-cost conference doesn't mean
we can't have high-quality graphics!

On 7/18/2002 at 9:35 AM Greg Ward wrote:

>On 17 July 2002, Bruce Eckel said:
>> And why not just move to the net for proceedings? Python is so
>> web-based anyway. Proceedings always seemed like a throwback
>> artifact to me.
>
>By default, yes.  But I *like* having printed proceedings, and
would
>happily pay US$20 or $30 for a book similar to the one I got at
IPC10.
>(Although I would expect it to be competently copy-edited first.
Yes,

gward@python.net
>http://starship.python.net/~gward/
>I have a very good DENTAL PLAN.  Thank you.

Most current information can be found at:
http://www.mindview.net/Etc/notes.html
Bruce Eckel    http://www.BruceEckel.com
Contains free electronic books: "Thinking in Java 2e" & "Thinking
in C++ 2e"
Please subscribe to my free newsletter -- just send any email to:
join-eckel-oo-programming@earth.lyris.net
My schedule can be found at:
http://www.mindview.net/Calendar