[Conferences-discuss] Re: [Pycon-organizers] PyCon 2004

Kevin Altis altis@semi-retired.com
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 12:15:09 -0700

> From: Guido van Rossum
>
> > Now that we've had two months to rest and relax, I think it's about
> > time we started moving on next year's PyCon, particularly if we
> > don't want to rely on YAS for processing registration.  If nobody
> > responds to this message, I'll assume nobody agrees with me.  ;-)
>
> Right.  I'm all for a repeat of the best things of PyCon 2003: the
> venue, the organizing team led by Steve Holden, the time of year.  I
> really hope that we can do online registration without help this time!
> Now's the time to reserve the prime spot at GWU.

Do we need to cross-post to conferences-discuss and pycon-organizers? I
guess I can join pycon-organizers if you just want to have discussions over
there.

I think that it is reasonable to assume we will have as many or more people
at PyCon 2004 as attended last March; it is hard to imagine the USA timing
another invasion to coincide with the conference and the economy being in as
bad shape as it was two months ago. With that in mind, do we need one or two
more rooms for presentations? I definitely want to have the large room with
tables and chairs available for Open Spaces each day since that was one of
the great things at PyCon 2003. That room looked like it could accomodate
300-350 easily. If not, space for a slightly larger crowd than we had last
March should be considered.

Also, if anyone knows if/when Europython 2004 will be held that would be
good to know for planning. I don't know when O'Reilly will commit to a venue
and time for OSCON 2004, but I'll go ahead and ask Gina.

ka