[C++-sig] Improvements on Mac OS X

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 18 17:50:48 CEST 2003

--- Harri Hakula <hhakula at math.hut.fi> wrote:
> Good news: With the very latest gcc from Apple everything compiles
> without errors.
>
> Bad news: The problems in running the examples persist.

In my experience the best long-term strategy is to work with the latest gcc
from gcc.gnu.org and to report bugs to the gcc developers directly. Unlike
Apple's gcc team, the gcc developers actually respond and fix problems.
Eventually these fixes end up in Apple's distribution.

I stopped reporting bugs as soon as all our code ran... somehow. I know there
are more problems, but I cannot afford spending more time on this right now. If
you get stomped by a bug that I managed to work around somehow, go back to the
gcc.gnu.org version, verify that it also exists there and report it.

Ralf