[C++-sig] Passing inherited classes back to C++

Nat Goodspeed ngoodspeed at solidworks.com
Sun May 6 19:03:37 CEST 2007

From: c++-sig-bounces at python.org [mailto:c++-sig-bounces at python.org] On
Behalf Of Tom Brooks
Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2007 5:38 AM
To: Development of Python/C++ integration
Subject: Re: [C++-sig] Passing inherited classes back to C++

BTW, for future reference, what else would you have wanted to see?

[Nat] Roman, forgive me for putting words in your mouth.

Tom, I think he's requesting that you attach complete, minimal source
files to your mail message that he could save to some work directory,
build and execute to see (and possibly debug) the behavior you describe.

Providing snippets of the crucial code in your mail message is helpful,
and sometimes it's enough. But other times someone wants to help, can't
guess the problem from your description and doesn't have time to write
the boilerplate code into which to paste your snippets. In such cases,
attaching complete (minimal) source files encourages them to test your
program anyway.

For other kinds of questions, e.g. compilation errors, sometimes the
failing code snippet is fine by itself and the problem has to do with
missing (or badly-ordered) #include statements. Unless both parties see
the whole source file, you can get replies of the form "It works for me"
even while you're saying, "But it's still broken for me."