[C++-sig] Implementation of proper overload resolution

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Mon Dec 21 09:45:33 CET 2009

Am Freitag, 18. Dezember 2009 16:08:24 schrieb Gustavo Carneiro:
> Don't you think that when these overloading problems become an issue it is
> a sign of a poorly designed API?  I mean, if overloaded functions
> parameters are not completely different in type or number, then maybe they
> are already too confusing to use and should not be overloaded in the first
> place?...

No, in C++ overloading rules are (quite) well-specified and everybody's used
to them.  In python, overloading is absent.  Now python bindings of C++
libraries are supposed to mimick C++'s overloading, and AFAICS Troy did great
work in order to let the BPL be better at this, i.e. more closely follow the
rules of C++ w.r.t. overload resolution.  (Previously, BPL's first[/last]-
come-first-serve rule would not match people's expectations in many cases.)

Ciao, /  /
     /--/
    /  / ANS