[CSV] Number of lines in CSV files

Andrew McNamara andrewm at object-craft.com.au
Wed Jan 29 01:25:46 CET 2003

>So, +1 on punt? <wink>

+1 on punt from me.

>Actually I think this particular aspect would be fairly simple to
>handle.  Another attribute of a dialect could be sizelimits = (maxrows,
>maxcols) and set to (None, None) if the programmer doesn't care or just
>wants to bypass that check.

Kitchen sink - we'll end up making the dialect's too specific for the user
to be able to choose ("do I have Excel2000 with SP2 applied, or...").
I bet it even varies by region of the world (for example, the Chinese
edition probably has different limits).

I have a sneeking suspician that Excels CSV parsing code is resonably
stable - they're probably not game to make changes now that it mostly
works. We might find that dialect="excel" is good enough.

http://www.object-craft.com.au/