[CSV] Re: First Cut at CSV PEP

Dave Cole djc at object-craft.com.au
Wed Jan 29 01:28:45 CET 2003

>>>>> "Andrew" == Andrew McNamara <andrewm at object-craft.com.au> writes:

>>>> That should raise an exception.

Andrew> You mean "raise an exception because the result would be
Andrew> ambiguous", or "raise an exception because it's not
Andrew> excel2000"?
>>  Because it is not 'excel2000'.

Andrew> I don't like it, as I mentioned in my previous e-mail. Excel
Andrew> (97, at least) doesn't let you tweak and tune, so *any*
Andrew> non-default settings are "not excel".

Andrew> A better idea would be to have the dialect turn on
Andrew> "strict_blah" if it's thought necessary.

Probably not.  I now think that my original idea was a bad one.

Andrew> But we still need to raise exceptions on nonsense formats
Andrew> (like using quote as a field separator while also using it as
Andrew> the quote character).

Yup.

Andrew> BTW, I don't have access to Excel 2000, only 97. I'm going to
Andrew> assume they're the same until proven otherwise (bad
Andrew> assumption, I know).
>>  This is a prime example of why we should support dialects.

Andrew> And every dialect should be supported by a wad of tests... 8-)

We need to have a torture test suite (which is manually run against an
application) with which to expose the options which apply to a
dialect.  The results of the torture test then are set in stone as a
regression test for that dialect.

- Dave

--
http://www.object-craft.com.au