[Cython] Jenkins down

mark florisson markflorisson88 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 18:22:11 CET 2012

On 21 March 2012 15:58, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
> mark florisson, 21.03.2012 15:12:
>>>
>>> Indeed, it's rather worrying and is actually a bit of a slowdown for
>>> development.
>
> Sure. However, we get to use it for free, and we've had a good gain from
> that for a long time now. It's just bad timing that this coincides with our
> release preparations.
>

>>> Dag and I discussed getting some funding from numfocus to
>>> use Jenkins in a cloud environment (along possibly with other
>>> projects, like sage, lxml, numpy, scipy, depending on interest of
>>> respective projects). At PyCon we saw one such company that provides
>>> these services, which is shiningpanda.com
>
> Their free OSS plan is one hour per day, which is way too short for us. Not
> sure how much we'd want to pay for their dedicated plan, and no idea what
> performance we'd get for the money.
>
> For our current setup, you can count way more than one hour of processing
> time for each single push and for each day's run of the CPython triggered
> integration tests. And then there's our set of separate developer branches
> on top of that, plus the fact that we can run builds in parallel to get
> faster feedback.
>
> Seriously - thanks William!

Yeah I also like it quite a bit, and I am grateful for these servers
as well. It's just that they have been down quite often lately. For
$240 a month you get one build queue for an unlimited number of
projects, but indeed, I don't know the performance. Just wanted to
bring it up in case there is any interest. At least with amazon I
think you can run all tests in parallel as it can just fire up more
VMs.