[Cython] s3ql and llfuse FTBFS Re: Cython 0.21 released

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Sun Oct 12 06:52:55 CEST 2014

Hi,

thanks for bringing this up.

Yaroslav Halchenko schrieb am 12.10.2014 um 05:04:
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2014, Stefan Behnel wrote:
>> on behalf of the Cython dev team, I'm pleased to announce the release of
>> Cython 0.21, a major feature release. Thanks everyone who contributed code,
>> documentation improvements, test feedback, bug reports and/or otherwise
>> helpful insights for this release.
>
> in two packages (s3ql, python-llfuse) so far I have ran into
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "setup.py", line 304, in <module>
>     main()
>   File "setup.py", line 182, in main
>     command_options={ 'sdist': { 'formats': ('setup.py', 'bztar') } },
>   File "/usr/lib/python3.4/distutils/core.py", line 148, in setup
>     dist.run_commands()
>   File "/usr/lib/python3.4/distutils/dist.py", line 955, in run_commands
>     self.run_command(cmd)
>   File "/usr/lib/python3.4/distutils/dist.py", line 974, in run_command
>     cmd_obj.run()
>   File "setup.py", line 228, in run
>     **options)
>   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/Cython/Compiler/Main.py", line 620, in compile
>     options = CompilationOptions(defaults = options, **kwds)
>   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/Cython/Compiler/Main.py", line 501, in __init__
>     ', '.join(unknown_options)))
> ValueError: got unexpected compilation options: warning_errors, recursive
>
> looking at s3ql  those are provided to cython_compile call and packages built
> successfully before.
>
> I see that recursive option was removed in 0.20b1~505  so not sure how it built
> before with 0.20.2 (probably providing "bogus" options just didn't trigger this
> ValueError).  Would you advise on the ideal course of patching? (CCing
> maintainers of those packages)

Those options were previously ignored, so they can safely be removed.

I actually think it would have been nicer (blaming myself here) to start by
raising a visible warning first rather than a hard error. I wasn't aware of
the impact that silently ignoring these options had in the past.

I'll relax it for 0.21.1, which is close anyway.

> P.S. besides those few of manageable failures I have reported, haven't found
> any other new hiccups (there also was a failing unittest in bzr but not even
> yet sure if cython related or just a fluke),   so will shortly upload 0.21 to
> Debian sid and backports to -devel repository of NeuroDebian.

Thanks!