[Datetime-SIG] Computing .dst() as a timedelta

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 02:14:56 CEST 2015

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 8:04 PM, Alexander Belopolsky <
alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 6:01 PM, Tim Peters <tim.peters at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> that place in Antarctica with two kinds of DST each year.
>

> I wonder, what's the point of saving daylight at the place where sun does
not set? (or does not rise depending on the time of the year?)

Tim, are you referring to the "Troll" rule? [1]  That's a strange beast
indeed and a comment above it says:

# The CET-switching Troll rules require zic from tzcode 2014b or later, so
as
# suggested by Bengt-Inge Larsson comment them out for now, and approximate
# with only UTC and CEST. Uncomment them when 2014b is more prevalent.

On the other hand, I don't see any challenges to PEP 495 there other than
finding means to extract the relevant information.   Maybe I should
hand-code this rule as demo/test case.

[1]: https://github.com/eggert/tz/blob/master/antarctica#L217