[DB-SIG] Assuming larger time scope

M.-A. Lemburg lemburg@uni-duesseldorf.de
Tue, 16 Dec 1997 19:03:45 +0100

Magnus Lycka wrote:

> [Omitting entries in maketime()]
>
> In a way I could imagine having (,-1,,,,) meaning the last day of the month,
> just as x[-1], but on the other hand, that's not really a KISS approach...

I've already added that feature (using -1 for the last day of the month,
-2 for the day before that and so on). It is quite useful in some cases
where you'd otherwise have to do the day calculation yourself. I'll
also add a function that returns the day lengths for the months in a
given year.

> I guess this is really just an issue when we are parsing input, and in that
> case the string is what we start with anyway. Maybe this don't have anything
> to do in the date base class at all. Maybe this parsing should be a function
> that the entry widgets or input file parsers should call before saving a
> date.

Right. This certainly belongs in some fuzzy date/time parsing
module.

send messages to: db-sig@python.org