[DB-SIG] Python as Apache-module

peter.bittner@gmx.net peter.bittner@gmx.net
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 13:05:35 +0100 (MET)

Hi there!

(I hope this is not off-topic here, but since Apache and MySQL is a common
combination I hope I'm not wrong here!)

I have learned Python a year ago, I used it for CGI to write a web-based
library database, and I have become a real fan.
I like Python a lot, but there is one thing I dislike which is its
performance as far as its usage for the Web is concerned. - Compared to sites that
run PHP my locally(!) running web-interface was dead slow.

Since my brother thinks :) he likes PHP, I've looked into it as well, and
I have found out why PHP is much faster on a Web-page than Python would be:
PHP is available as an Apache module, and a module in Apache runs much
faster than any CGI-programs!!

So, now it's already a couple of days that I'm thinking about whether
Python could be made available as Apache module as well. So I could stay with
Python AND Python might be more attractive for Web-programmers in general!
:-D

Does anybody know anything about that?
Are there plans to offer Python as an Apache module?
(Maybe Apache would include this module in its standard distribution!!)

Cheers,
Peter

--
Peter Bittner